Information Communication Technology Associate, GS6, Cairo, Egypt, post# 43522
Job no: 518186
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Categories: Information Communication Technology, G-6
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks:
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
General ICT / Office Support:
ICT Associates at this level perform a full range of procedural activities in support of ICT to ensure effective communications with client departments/divisions/offices and efficient provision of support to other ICT staff.
- Providing first-level support that includes receiving, processing and logging service requests.
- Managing lifecycle of ICT incidents assigned to him/her in service management tool.
- Providing support in conferencing with ICT and audiovisual equipment as and when requested.
- Creating and assigning work orders.
- Maintaining and updating files (electronic and paper) and internal databases.
- Maintaining ICT inventory, manuals and other documentation. This may require the incumbent to lift, move, mount, or store equipment.
Minimal ICT Administration:
ICT Associates are accountable for specialized support pertaining to routine ICT activities requiring thorough understanding and application of server, operating system, hardware and software documentation and functionality.
- Installing/upgrading, configuring (routine, standard) and maintaining systems, tools and equipment.
- Assisting in routine operation and monitoring of server systems.
- Providing second-level user support/troubleshooting.
- Extracting data from databases to serve the needs and requests of users, diagnosing errors and correcting as necessary.
- Performing backups of servers following standard backup procedures.
- Assisting in the generation of computer reports.
- Providing on-the-job orientation for users in the use of ICT systems.
Impact of Results
The work of ICT Associates impacts on the delivery of routine ICT administration activities that are closely interrelated with the work of other members of the ICT team to which assigned. The work performed affects not only the functionality of fundamental ICT systems, but also the operational efficiency of staff throughout the organization. Indirectly his/her work impacts on delivery of organization-wide programmes.
ICT Associates also play a key role in providing ICT customer service support (second level) and minimal troubleshooting tasks. The incumbents are routinely involved in working closely with colleagues in ICT on crosscutting issues and with client departments and staff in the handling and resolving of routine as well as minor specialized processes and delivery of ICT services. These relationships are important to ensure that (a) client needs are met expeditiously, (b) ICT systems are functioning as designed and (c) UNICEF's staff are kept aware of new software releases, tools and equipment.
Competencies and level of proficiency required
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Analyzing (II)
- Learning and Researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (II)
- Good knowledge of UNICEF's ICT regulations, rules and procedures as well as systems and applications.
- Good working knowledge of computer information systems, including micro-computer operating systems software (e.g. Windows), hardware and applications software and other office technology equipment.
- Ability to understand data and effectively use office technology systems for its input and extraction.
- Ability to provide on-the-job orientation to clients.
- Takes responsibility to respond to service needs promptly and proactively.
- Demonstrates a high degree of integrity, reliability and honors matters of confidentiality.
- Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
- Demonstrates courtesy, tact, patience and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Completion of Secondary education is required, supplemented with formal training in Computer Science, Information Systems, Telecommunications, Engineering.
ITIL Foundation Certificate or equivalent customer support certification is an asset.
A minimum of six years of practical work experience in information technology, requiring systematic methods of troubleshooting and problem solving is required.
Experience in providing assistance to users on IT products and services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools is required.
Practical experience in providing technical and business Customer Support and Services is required.
Practical experience and working knowledge of various computer platforms and applications is required.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Egypt Standard Time
Applications close: Egypt Standard Time