Programme Specialist (Quality Assurance), NOC, Lilongwe, Malawi
Job no: 518388
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Categories: NO-3, Operations and Business Management
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a fair chance.
How can you make a difference?
Under the general guidance of the Chief Operations, the incumbent will be responsible for the overall understanding, analysis and review of systems, risks, application of policies and procedures and the capacity building of staff as well as counterparts within the area of quality assurance and internal control. These will in turn contribute to Malawi Office accomplishing its corporate and programme objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of its Quality Assurance and Internal Control procedures. The Programme Specialist (Quality Assurance) will lead in aspects on Enterprise Risk Management, internal control, due diligence reviews, office self-assessments, work process reviews, audits and spot checks to promote efficiency, accountability, reduce risks of asset loss, and help ensure the reliability of financial statements.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree (Master's) in Accounting, Business Administration, Financial Management, Economics, Auditing, International Development or a directly-related technical field(s) is required. A valid professional certification (CA; CPA; etc.) from an accredited chartered accountancy institution, in conjunction with a relevant first-level (Bachelor's) university degree in a directly-related technical field (as identified above), may be taken in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, at the national and international levels, in Operations Management, Financial Management, Audit Management, Risk Management and/or Programme Management – with hands on experience in planning, undertaking and reporting on financial management assurance activities related to HACT and/or similar grant management oversight systems used by donor and funding agencies is required.
Previous experience in training professionals in the context of HACT is considered highly desirable.
- Fluency in English and Knowledge of Chichewa. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are:
- Excellent communication skills
- Drive for Results
- Working with People
- Planning and Organizing
- Leading and Supervising
- Deciding and Initiating Action
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Following Instructions and Procedures
- Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
*OPEN TO UN STAFF MEMBERS ONLY
Advertised: South Africa Standard Time
Applications close: South Africa Standard Time