Administrative Assistant, (GS-05), Dominican Republic (Temporary Appointment)
Job no: 518399
Work type: Temporary Appointment
Location: Dominican Rep.
Categories: Communication / External Relations
Post Title: Administrative Assistant
Proposed Level: G-5
Appointment type: Temporary, 364 days
For every child, a champion
Under the close supervision and guidance of the Communication Officer, the Administrative Assistant for the Communications sections is responsible for executing a broad variety of routine operational tasks and some specialized for the respective section.
How can you make a difference?
The efficiency and effectiveness of support provided by the administrative assistance impacts the achievement of larger and more complex tasks within the section. It supports the timely coordination of work products by meeting deadlines and adherence to policies and procedures which enhance UNICEF's reputation.
We are looking for an organized, agile and customer service oriented individual to support the UNICEF Dominican Republic office in the following areas:
- Budget Monitoring
Procurement / Supplies / Equipment
- Invoice Processing
Communications & Workflow
Budget Monitoring for the Section/Area
- Monitors budgets and financial expenditures of section, ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations, keeping supervisor informed and advised on actions for decision/follow up.
- Provides support on budget revision/preparation, implementation status, determination position of funding utilization, operational, and financial closure.
- Prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the budget monitoring of project/programme implementation.
- Carries out transactions in VISION pertaining to grants for his/her section such as registering grant allotment, creating funds commitments and tracking expiring programme grants.
Procurement / Supplies / Equipment
- Guides managers in the process procurement in line with the policies and guidance.
- Facilitates the processing of contracts/sales orders for consultants and external partners that provide a service to the section. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, , and making necessary logistical arrangements.
- Maintains up-to-date vendor lists, partners, and consultant rosters.
- Supports management of administrative supplies, office equipment, and updating inventory of items.
- Monitors and supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
- Arranges for the purchase and timely distribution of the section’s supplies.
- Responsible for collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and, thereafter processing in VISION the needed requests.
- Uploads electronic files and verifies results to destination system.
- Responds to client transaction status and other inquiries.
- Provides travel assistance to staff members in section for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization’s rules and policies. Liaises with relevant travel focal points to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Briefs/de-briefs staff members on issues relating to related administrative matters such as visas, security clearance, and documentation procedures.
- Extracts, inputs, maintains, and verifies correctness of travel records in the organization’s travel system to ensure accurate transactions related to travel costs and staff travel.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets on travel costs and maintain travel plan and budgetary control records.
- Monitors travel certification and report back to the team.
Communications & Workflow
- Facilitates the communications and workflow of the organizational unit to enhance the efficiency and timeliness of operations and outputs.
- Manages incoming and outgoing correspondence, e-mails and telephone calls.
- Communicates routine and some non-routine information pertaining to the work of the team.
- Establishes and maintains the office filing and reference systems, both traditional and digital; and ensures the inter/intra-net websites are up to date and accurate.
- Maintains office calendar and arranges meetings
- Takes minutes of meetings, ensuring accuracy, attention to detail and coherence.
- Supports capacity development activities and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts.
- Arranges times through liaising with participants over availability.
- Liaises with budget focal points and section over costs and needs.
- Prepares background materials for participants and uploads cleared materials on the intranet.
- Prepares and maintains agendas on meetings and events related to the work group commitments.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (I)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (I)
- Analyzing (I)
- Learning and Researching (I)
- Planning and organizing (I)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (I)
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have:
- Education: Completion of secondary education is required, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the field of work. Complementary courses related to communications, media, social media, public relations, marketing, events are highly valued.
- Experience: a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required. Additional years of experience working for communication related work units or cross-functional teams is an asset. Experience working for international organizations, government organizations or UN Agencies in an asset.
- Training and experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other UNICEF software such as SharePoint; knowledge of integrated management information systems required.
- Thorough knowledge of UNICEF administrative policies and procedures in an asset.
- Organizational, planning and prioritizing skills and abilities.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with visitors.
- High sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment.
- Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Language: Fluency in Spanish and English is required. Knowledge of another UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
General Service Staff are recruited locally. Candidates must be in possession of an existing work permit or resident/citizen of Dominican Republic to be considered eligible for this post. Please note that General Service (GS) staff are locally recruited staff and therefore, candidates are personally responsible for any travel and accommodation arrangements.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles
Advertised: SA Western Standard Time
Applications close: SA Western Standard Time