Senior Executive Assistant, (GS-6), Gaborone, Botswana
Job no: 501867
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Categories: Support: Communication, Support: Operations, Support: Programme
Pay Grade: G-6
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
This position reports to the Representative of the UNICEF Botswana Country Office, with responsibility for the management and coordination of the work for the Head of this Country Office. The role of this post is to provide administrative and secretarial support services to Representative.
The Senior Executive Assistant is responsible to ensure the smooth running of the Office of the Representative. This involves management of information and coordination of matters within the country office team. The post is a key interface with a broad range of contacts including high-ranking officials, both within and outside the organization. The incumbent prioritizes tasks and organizes work independently based on general direction from the supervisor.
Key Expected Results
- Administrative, executive assistance and secretarial support services provided to the Sr. Executive to facilitate smooth running of the Office and effective processing of information and data.
- Professional image projected through in-person and telephone interaction. Discretion exercised with confidential information and complex sensitive subject matter.
- Knowledgeable delivery of quality services contributing to achievement of work objectives.
- Well managed and effective office operations, systems and procedures facilitates team work and the work of the office.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1. Administrative, executive assistance and secretarial support services to the Sr. Executive to facilitate smooth running of the Office and effective processing of information and data.
- Helps manage the immediate office operations with respect to communications, meetings and work flow; identifies complex or sensitive subjects, and contacts, for special treatment as well as priority issues that need to be brought to the supervisor's attention. As appropriate, provides information and guidance to staff at all levels within the organizational unit to ensure understanding of intent and deadlines.
- Establishes internal tracking systems and procedures for correspondence and documents; monitor work progress and cases of priority and concern to the supervisor.
- Arranges appointments and maintains supervisor's calendar, receiving high ranking visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers enquiries; Organizes high-level meetings including taking responsibility for finalization of the meeting agenda, invitations, the production and distribution of documentation, and preparation of minutes of meetings. Distribute meeting reports and information and ensure follows-up on required actions.
- Organizes and facilitates the administrative work of the office including establishing internal procedures and tracking systems for correspondence and documents: receives screens and registers correspondence and documents.
- Collects and prepare briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings. Undertake travel arrangements for supervisor, including arranging itinerary, visas, and hotel reservations. Ensure offices are informed of travel arrangements and requirements. Brief supervisor of important developments upon their return.
2. Professional image projected through in-person and telephone interaction. Discretion exercised with confidential information and complex sensitive subject matter.
- Keeps abreast of activities of importance, latest policies, procedures and organizational changes affecting the team.
- Establishes and maintains a records management system containing reference materials and confidential records as required.
- Prepares briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings; drafts responses to written inquiries on a variety of routine and non-routine questions; communicates sensitive information to senior management and coordinates responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the supervisor.
3. Effective preparation and knowledgeable delivery of correspondence/communications, documentation and reports contributing to achievement of work objectives
- Prepares correspondence for the supervisor's signature, and may make informal translations into another official languages as required. Draft non-substantive correspondence based on first-hand knowledge of work schedule or events, rough notes, or verbal instructions, for supervisor's approval.
- Communicates sensitive information to senior level managers and coordinate responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the supervisor.
- Follows up on the preparation by staff of reports, correspondence, briefing notes and other documents for the supervisor's reference. Reviews these documents for appropriate format and style, in accordance with standard practices.
- Selects and makes pertinent abstracts and undertake searches for information as directed.
4. Well managed and effective office operations, systems and procedures that facilitate team work and the work of the office.
- May supervise clerical and support staff, and coordinate the secretarial service of the office. Verifies that the work is done in accordance with corporate standards and within established deadlines; monitors work progress and cases of priority and concern to the supervisor.
- Works closely with team colleagues and provides support in achievement of work priorities and objectives.
- Establishes follow-up system of actions taken and reports to the supervisor.
- Undertakes any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Completion of Secondary School Education. High School Diploma, and business courses or other relevant disciplines.
- Must pass the UN clerical test in English.
- Computer literacy and the ability to effectively use standard office software tools and other office technology to create documentation, exchange and archive e-mail, and maintain electronic filing systems.
- Five years of office support work experience, including organizing and supervising the whole range of office support and administrative activities. Ability to work with minimum of supervision. Ability to extract and format data and to solve operational problems. Ability to organize own and others work, set priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to organize meetings and events. Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with People (II)
- Drive for Results (II)
- Applying Technical Expertise (II)
- Analyzing (II)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (II)
- Planning and Organizing (II)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
Advertised: South Africa Standard Time
Application close: South Africa Standard Time