Communication for Development Officer (C4D), NO-1, Yerevan, Armenia #118097, Temporary Appointment - Open to the nationals of Armenia only
Job no: 546583
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Duty Station: Yerevan
Categories: Social and Behavior Change
The applicants who had submitted their applications within the period of initial advertising of this vacancy do not need to re-apply. All candidates will be retained.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a champion
UNICEF Armenia has a challenging and exciting opportunity within the Office of the Deputy Representative, Programmes, for a passionate and committed professional with experience in social development programme planning, communication for development, public advocacy or closely related fields.
How can you make a difference?
The Communication for Development Officer (C4D) provides technical and operational support to the supervisor and internal colleagues by administering, executing and implementing a variety of tasks to promote community engagement and participation, and measureable behavioral and social change/mobilization, requiring the application of technical and theoretical skills and the study of organizational goals, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
The efficient and effective technical, administrative and operational support provided to the development and implementation of C4D advocacy initiatives and products directly impact on the ability of UNICEF to promote social, political and economic action and changes in behaviors, social attitudes, beliefs and actions by communities, individuals and societies on children’s rights, survival and wellbeing. This in turn contributes to enhancing the ability of UNICEF to fulfill its mission to achieve sustainable and concrete results in improving the survival, development and wellbeing of children in the country.
1. Support to strategy design and development of C4D activities
- Research and/or participate in conducting comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, cultural, economic, communication and political issues in the country. Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and data to inform the development and planning the C4D component of the Country Programme of Cooperation.
- Collect, draft and/or organize materials and related documentation to inform the development of specific C4D interventions and related plans in support of relevant components of the Country Programme) to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of results.
- Ensure the measurability and facilitate the assessment of the impact of C4D activities vis a vis the intended results envisioned by the Country Programme in terms of behavioral and social change to enable the realization of children’s rights and improvement of their wellbeing.
2. Support to the implementation of C4D activities
- Collaborate with internal and external partners and provide operational and technical support to the implementation of C4D strategies and interventions based on the evidence generated at the design stage, and the findings from the tests conducted. Among others, this would imply research, development, testing, production and enabling the use of quality C4D materials, organizing events and activities to ensure maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change of target audience.
- Provide technical, administrative and logistical support to carry out C4D activities and recommend operational strategies, approaches, plans, methods and procedures.
- Assess and recommend potential contacts, networks, resources and tools to support the maximum impact, outreach and sustainability of C4D initiatives.
- Follow up on the production of C4D materials to ensure technical quality, consistency and relevancy of the materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc).
- Monitor the progressive effects of C4D activities in the different components of the Country Programme and use the findings to adjust and finetune the interventions and improve their effectiveness and efficiency.
- Collect, assess and organize information for budget planning and management of programme funds and prepare documentation and related materials to ensure efficient financial management of C4D initiatives. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
3. Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with relevant national authorities, national and international civil society organizations, community groups, leaders and other critical partners to ensure effective cooperation and to pursue opportunities for greater advocacy in support of the Country Programme.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging to enhance C4D outreach and contribution to programmatic outcomes.
4. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners/users, and disseminate lessons learned to key audiences including donors and partners.
- Support the organization, administration and implementation of capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of partners and other stakeholders across programme sectors in C4D planning, implementation and monitoring in support of programmes. Develop training materials for training activities, and revise them periodically for improvements and updates.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A university degree in one of the following fields is required: social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or another relevant technical field.
- A minimum of one year of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: social development programme planning, communication for development, public advocacy or another related area.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in Armenian and English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language, such as Russian, is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Caucasus Standard Time
Deadline: Caucasus Standard Time