Logistics Assistant, GS-5, Shipping Unit, Transport Centre, UNICEF Supply Division, 1 yr FT
Job no: 532257
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Supply/Logistics, Support: Operations, G-5
Logistics Assistant (GS-5 level)
Transport Centre, UNICEF Supply Division
Fixed Term position (1 year duration)
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child and has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world. Supplies are essential to fulfil children’s rights. UNICEF procures and supplies over 5,000 products to address the needs of children. Supporting child survival and development programmes around the world, UNICEF-procured supplies are critical in providing for children’s health, education and protecting them from abuse, exploitation and neglect.
For every child, commitment
How can you make a difference?
The Logistics Assistant in the Shipping Unit will coordinate and monitor activities related to the international transport of vaccines to ensure timely and cost-effective movement, with the overall goal of meeting the needs and requirements of UNICEF assisted programs and Procurement Service customers.
Under the supervision of the Shipping and Logistics Specialist, the Logistics Assistant performs all activities in compliance with the UNICEF Financial Rules and Regulations, Supply Division Manual and other applicable procurement procedures in order to ensure timely deliveries of vaccines including:
- Plan and execute the planned shipments of vaccines.
- Co-ordinate and monitor all vaccine shipments from manufacturers to recipient countries, ensuring all deliveries are made in a timely efficient and cost-effective manner, including related communication with procurement staff within the Vaccine Centre, manufacturers, freight forwarders and UNICEF Country Offices.
- Monitor and track ongoing shipments until final delivery, anticipating problems or bottlenecks and proactively taking preventative and corrective actions.
- Closely monitor high priority shipments related to emergency and outbreak response, charter operations, high value shipments, and sensitive countries and provide increased visibility to all stakeholders
- In liaison with Freight Forwarders coordinates shipment plan, taking into account programme priority, warehouse capacity, purchase order delivery dates and special requests from Country Offices & Procurement Service Customers.
- Follows up on late deliveries and expedites reports provided by Freight Forwarders
- Develop potential options for optimized air cargo load plans for air charters and commercial flights.
- Validates all shipping documentation including, , airway bills, packing lists etc, for accuracy and compliance with recipient country requirements and PO instructions
- Monitor Freight Forwarder performance ensuring compliance with UNICEF LTA, with any performance related issues immediately addressed and promptly reported to the contracts manager,
- Use IT systems to manage and monitor shipment status, delivery quantities and times, transportation budgets, and other transport related data. Work with manufacturers, freight forwarders and country offices to perform analysis of cold chain conditions of vaccine throughout shipment..
- Promptly address any incidents and complaints and assist in processing vaccine-related insurance claims by identifying and implementing Corrective And Preventive Action.
- Perform analysis of vaccine shipping rates through UNICEF freight forwarders, and make recommendations to business processes and contracts based on findings of analyses.
- Any other duties or assignments as requested by the supervisor.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
-Completion of secondary education with additional training in Logistics or transport or a related field.
-Five years relevant working experience in logistics operations with demonstrated knowledge of air freight shipping operations with 1 year experience in shipping logistics.
-Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages, in particular word, Excel and Power Point.
-Fluency in English
-Valid work permit and residency in Denmark at the time of submitting the application. Note that the selected candidate is responsible for obtaining any required extension of their residency permit as an extension cannot be dependent on an employment with UNICEF.
Training/certificate in cold chain operations management is considered a strong asset.
Work experience within the area of cold chain is strongly desired.
Knowledge of another UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is an added advantage.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results. In addition, the following functional competencies will be required for these positions:
- Learning & Researching
- Planning and Organizing
- Following Instructions & Procedures
To view our competency framework, please click here: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
The closing date is 30 September 2020. Please be informed that all applications to UNICEF are handled via UNICEF's online recruiting system. You can apply to the above position by creating your profile, and application at our web site: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index.php. Kindly note that all applications should be in English and that applications outside of the online recruiting system will not be accepted. Kindly also note that diversity and gender balance are factors in the selection process. Queries can be directed to Louise Pedersen at email@example.com.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization. UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/supply/
Advertised: Romance Daylight Time
Deadline: Romance Daylight Time