Technical assistance in designing of child appropriate WASH school infrastructure and rehabilitation of water stations in selected six schools in rural areas with shortage of water supply (Individual Consultancy – national)
Job no: 534516
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Education, Early Childhood Development
Safe reopening of schools is one of the key priorities for most of the countries these days and WASH related actions play important role in reopening and maintain safe environment in schools. From the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis UNICEF CO have been working with local counterparts on planning various WASH in schools related initiatives, like hygiene promotion campaigns, assessments of WASH facilities in schools, provision of supplies, to name just a few.
Introduction of various distance learning modalities (online, TV, radio, CDs, paper based) in schools as part of using blended forms of learning is proposed to the Ministry of Education. Information campaign on hygiene promotion and healthy lifestyles among school children is ongoing across the school nation-wide. The above includes use of hygiene supplies, handouts, posters, cartoons, video films as part of teaching the formal subjects and peer to peer approach, all aimed at formation of the right knowledge, attitude and behavioral skills with the school children. All the above materials are compiled on CDs available for all schools in the country (1868 schools).
In the current COVID-19 context, students and teachers should wash their hands frequently, after touching surfaces, touching door handles, entering and coming out of toilets; before and after eating; hands must be washed systematically after blowing nose, coughing , or sneezing; the appropriate technique and time taken to clean hands is also important . Rehabilitation of water stations in selected schools in rural areas with shortage of water supply is proposed as a pilot activity. In the absence of centralized village or city water supply and sewerage networks, the issue of choosing and arranging local water supply and sanitation systems should be decided by agreement with the Sanitary and Epidemiological Service, depending on local conditions. Provision of water in adequate quantity will make hygiene practices possible. The main aim to ensure the availability of hand washing stations with soap and water or hand sanitizers dispensers or water with chlorine solution (0,05%) in selected schools, pre-schools facilities. Support design and installation of the simple and effective hand washing stations. Based on the results scaling up will be planned.
Purpose of the assignment
In this context, UNICEF is seeking a national consultant to provide technical assistance to the MoE in designing of child appropriate WASH school infrastructure for handwashing and rehabilitation of water stations in selected schools in rural areas with shortage of water supply.
In close collaboration with local education authorities and relevant schools’ administration carry out assessments of WASH infrastructure in rural schools selected by MOE and UNICEF. Specifically:
- Assess water supply (water quality, quantity and access), hygiene promotion, sanitation (quality and access), cleaning and waste disposal, with special attention to availability (also considering ratio of students per one handwashing station) and suitability (also considering design suitability for age of school children or children with disabilities) of handwashing stations;
- Referring to national policies/standards and guidelines on WASH infrastructure for schools, identify gaps in existing WASH infrastructure. Consider both, damaged/broken and non-existent infrastructure.
- For each of the assessed six schools separately:
- prepare a brief report on status of the WASH infrastructure, with reference to the national policies and guidelines;
- propose required renovation/improvement plan (listing works according to priorities, from most urgent to desired);
- prepare relevant, detailed and costed Bills of Quantity (BOQs) with drawings, if applicable;
- If critical gaps in access to handwashing facilities are identified (unavailability or inadequate design) propose most appropriate and practical technical solution, with relevant design and BOQ;
- Assess availability and supply mechanisms of hygiene related supplies (soap for handwashing and basic cleaning, supplies as minimum). If soap and/or cleaning supplies are not easily available identify related bottlenecks and propose simple solutions.
Workplan and deliverables
The consultancy will cover the period of 12 October to 08 December 2020 and will be deliverable based. The consultant is expected to work home-based and undertake at least 5 visits (3 days each) to the velayats of the country during the consultancy period. The below timeline is a decent attempt of deadlines, considering the period that will be needed for translation, sharing of document and receipt of feedback. Depending on the progress and details, more than 2 reviews of some documents may be required, which may affect the timelines.
Deliverables and target delivery dates
specific delivery dates and details as to how the work must be delivered (e.g. electronic submission, hard copy), subdivided into “milestones” where appropriate
22 working days, including 18 working days in-country field trips (3 working days for selected school in each velayat) and 4 working days
05 October – 03 November 2020
For each 6 schools prepare a brief report on status of the WASH infrastructure, with reference to the national policies and guidelines;
03 November 2020
Electronic submission of the Progress report on status of the WASH infrastructure, with reference to the national policies and guidelines;
20 working days
04 November - 01 December 2020
Technical Report with renovation/improvement plan and relevant, detailed and costed Bills of Quantity (BOQs) with design for each of the assessed six schools;
5 working days
02 – 08 December 2020
Final Report with proposed statement of work for construction company based on the most appropriate and practical technical solution, with relevant design and BOQ.
Please see detailed ToR as per the link
Advertised: West Asia Standard Time
Deadline: West Asia Standard Time