Accounting & Finance Officer, P-2, FT # 114555, Financial Management Centre (FMC), Copenhagen, Denmark
Job no: 535648
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an Education
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Strategic office context:
The position is placed in Accounting and Invoice Certification Unit (AICU) in the Financial Management Centre (FMC) where under the overall supervision of Accounting Manager, the incumbent of the position will be responsible for financial records of UNICEF.
Over the past years, under the leadership of Supply Division’s (SD) management, the core areas of FMC, AICU have expanded from being solely SD accounting to be a hub and instrumental player for financial and accounting related areas to Supply Function. This continues to expand and is the key strategic area for FMC, AICU. Ongoing changes and improvements in Supply related processes lead to efficiencies and improvements of processes. Such changes must be supported by the financial and accounting processes. Last but not least, UNICEF’s responses to COVID-19 outbreak continue to rapidly evolve and has significant impact on processes and thus the related accounting and workload implications. As pandemic increases, accounting and financial reporting, as well as monitoring requirements continue to rise requiring finance to provide additional support to the organization in the effort of reacting to the pandemic.
How can you make a difference?
Accounting & Finance Officer will help designs, develops and maintains automated and manual systems, monitoring tools and reports to support the programme and financial management of UNICEF activities. She/he will also contributes in identifying key financial and procurement data and performs analysis, providing useful visual graphics and presentations to management to facilitate critical financial decisions.
You will be accountable for:
- Designs, develops and maintains systems and reports to ensure proper use, monitoring, reconciliation and financial reporting activities. Prepares exception and/or periodic reports, statements, schedules, summaries analysis and work papers relating to but not limited to the following areas:
- Monitor of payment terms and different types of purchase orders
- Monitor and reporting on segregation of duties
- Monitor and recording of freight forwarders credit notes
- Insurance reconciliation and estimation processes
- Monitor and analyze goods in transit
- Advance payment review and monitoring and firm commitment monitoring and the related accounting transaction recording
- Support with Freight Purchase Order closure and monitoring
- Reconciliation and allocation of donation grants and follow up actions with COs, related transaction clearing worldwide for all offices
- Proactively responds to emergency requirements impacting on AICU. In particular reviews and introduces changes to processes around warehouse,
- inventory, invoice processing and payments and others as requested by the management
- Others as requested by stakeholders
- On behalf of FMC, help represents and support projects:
- Last mile representative
- Liquidated damages
- Goods in transit inbound, outbound
- And others as requested
- Participates in the design, testing and implementation of new and revised systems relating to area of responsibility.
- Participates in designs, develops and performs financial accounting and analysis for the Unit as well as different stakeholders in Supply Division using a MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint.
- Recommends system and process improvements identified during performance of duties and responsibilities. Contributes to the regular review of business processes and manuals, and divisional and centre procedures.
- Participates and coordinates audit queries related to the area of responsibility.
- Performs other ad hoc tasks in related areas as required and provides back up to support colleagues within the unit and other business units.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
A first level university degree in accounting, financial management or another related financial field is required.
Relevant accounting qualification (i.e. ACCA, CPA, CIMA) is preferred.
Minimum two years of progressively responsible professional experience, preferably at the international level in the areas of financial management, accounting and/or audit, project management, reporting and monitoring.
Proven record of process development, documentation and implementation.
Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Excel, Access (or similar relational database) and Powerpoint. Experience in SAP or a similar ERP system.
Relevant previous supervisory experience as well as hands on accounting experience or accounting qualification (i.e. ACCA, CPA, CIMA) is preferred.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The core competencies required for this post are;
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (II)
- Works Collaboratively with others (II)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (II)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (II)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (II)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (II)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (II)
The functional competencies required for this post are;
- Analyzing (I)
- Applying technical expertise (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
- Following instructions and procedures (II)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- For UNICEF FT staff, the 1-year time in post must be observed in order to apply for another position.
- UNICEF only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at: http://www.whed.net/
- This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Romance Daylight Time
Deadline: Romance Daylight Time