Health Specialist (Emergency), P-3, Beirut Lebanon, Temporary Appointment for 364 days, PN 115715
Job no: 538286
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Health, P-3
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Health
The position forms part of the UNICEF Lebanon’s scale up plan to the ongoing situation in Lebanon, where there has been a significant increase in poverty as a consequence of the protracted economic crisis, as well as COVID-19 situation. The complex economic and socio-political dynamics triggered by the crisis are impacting the population’s capacity to access to enough and appropriate services and goods in the areas of health and nutrition, amongst other services. UNICEF Lebanon contributes to strengthen the national capacity in the areas of Education, Social Protection, Nutrition, Health, WASH and Protection, by scaling up its cooperation program to address emerging needs that children and women are facing in the context of the current crisis.
To support the provision of access to basic health care to children, with particular focus on the COVID-19 response. The incumbent is the overall planning and management of UNICEF’s health response on the field level in close collaboration with Child Survival Officers on the field level.
How can you make a difference?
- Support UNICEF’s response in Health as part of the overall health sector coordination mechanism. Represent UNICEF in the Health and other sector coordination meetings.
- Participate in rapid needs assessments for the Health sector.
- Contribute to UNICEF’s and the health sector response strategy, work planning and contingency planning processes with other sectors to ensure cross sectoral response programming.
- Provide technical support to UNICEF and partners including contributing to the development of or sharing relevant standards, protocols, guidelines and training materials for Health in emergencies.
- Conduct joint field visits and evaluations with relevant health cluster partners.
- Develop behaviour change communication materials for C4D and other relevant sectors.
- Support reestablishment and enhancement of a sustainable decentralized public health system and services at community and health facility levels.
- Manage UNICEF’s relations with its partners, taking administrative actions such as renewing partner contracts, PCAs, and managing program finances.
- Oversee project supply chain in coordination with UNICEF operations staff to provide essential drugs and materials to government and NGO partners.
- Monitor the coverage of key Health interventions among the beneficiary population and share information for internal communication and external coordination.
- Support UNICEF information products related to the response including situation reports.
- In close consultation with the M&E team, contribute to the office M&E mechanism, including performing results tracking.
- Help draft funding appeals, donor reports and project proposals related to the response.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in public health (MD, nursing or other relevant health discipline) plus a master’s, MSc, PhD in public health or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of of progressively responsible experience in planning and implementing health emergency programmes with either the UN, IO, and/or NGO.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English (verbal and written). Good written and spoken skills in the language in French and/or Arabic is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
- Analyzing (3)
- Deciding and Initiating action (2)
- Applying technical expertise (3)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF’s active commitment towards diversity and inclusion is critical to deliver the best results for children. For this position, suitable male candidates from programme countries will receive preferential consideration and selection, as long as they meet the eligibility requirements stated above.
- The Vacancy Announcement is open to all (internal and external candidates)
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Advertised: Middle East Standard Time
Deadline: Middle East Standard Time