Full-time Individual Contractor (11.5 months, home-based): Communications and Reporting Consultant - Office of Emergency Operations (EMOPS), Geneva, Switzerland
Job no: 547623
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D), Nutrition, Emergency Programme
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Hope
Scope of Work
The communications and reporting consultant will report to the Deputy Global Nutrition Cluster (GNC) Coordinator and support the GNC Coordination Team (GNC-CT) in the development, publishing and promoting the use of key communications products.
GNC maintains the GNC website, two social media platforms (Twitter and LinkedIn), and produces a monthly newsletter. It regularly publishes new guidance, statements, reports, webinars, information produced by country offices and partners. It also contributes to different communication activities by partners, other UNICEF divisions, and country offices. The consultant will work closely with the GNC Coordination Team and other stakeholders to ensure that GNC communication is strategic, timely, clear, and supports its 2022-2025 Strategy.
Key tasks include:
- Ensures planning and design of internal and external strategies and plans for communications and outreach geared towards supporting GNC’s advocacy, partnership-building and resource mobilization.
- Manages the writing, development, design, production and dissemination of diverse publications (including GNC Annual and Mid-year reports, donor reports, etc.) through a variety of media, including print, broadcast and social.
- Oversees the content development, expansion and continual assessment of the quality and relevance of web-based information services, including website, support dashboards, newsletter and social media.
- Promotes optimum visibility of GNC’s activities through effective media relations, placement and distribution of information material and creative partnerships with GNC partners, UNICEF HQ divisions and UNICEF country offices.
- Collaborates closely with other global clusters, country offices and UNICEF divisions, and facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Purpose of the assignment
The purpose of this consultancy is to strengthen the capacity of Nutrition in Emergency clusters/sector coordination mechanisms at the country level to prepare for , plan and deliver quality, predictable, timely, effective and integrated nutrition responses through provision of quality cluster/sector coordination-related support, mentoring and training.
Main tasks / Work Assignment Overview
|Tasks / Milestones||Deliverables / Outputs||Timeline / Deadline|
|Review current GNC communication and develop a one-year action plan for its improvement.||Action plan developed and being implemented||By 30 April 2022|
|Review, update and maintain GNC website as a primary communication tool. Improve its efficiency and effectiveness and its relation with the GNC Alliance website and ENN platforms, but also with SUN and UNSCN websites.||GNC website is up to date and is a key hub for nutrition humanitarian information||Ongoing|
|Coordinate the development and diffusion of relevant publications through a variety of media, including print, broadcast and social, including donor reports, funding concept notes, progress reports, Annual and Mid-year reports, etc.||All required publications delivered on time and to an agreed quality||Ongoing|
|Prepare and systematically update GNC information and communication materials, such as presentations about the GNC, flyers, one-pagers, dashboards, briefs, etc.||GNC information package is developed and utilized||Ongoing|
|Produce and share monthly GNC newsletter.||Monthly newsletter regularly produced and shared||Ongoing|
|Build the GNC social media presence (on LinkedIn and Twitter) and enhance the outreach of the GNC by regularly posting news on Twitter and LinkedIn and building a base of followers; develop a good practice tip sheet for nutrition clusters to use social media in a consistent and optimal manner.||At least 100 new followers on Twitter and same on LinkedIn per month||Ongoing|
Estimated Duration of the Contract
11.5 months (February 2022 - January 2023)
Consultant’s Work Place and Official Travel
The Individual Contractor will be home-based.
Estimated Cost of the Consultancy & Payment Schedule
Payment will be made on submission of an invoice and satisfactory completion of the above-mentioned deliverables. Please indicate an all inclusive lumpsum monthly fee to undertake this assignment.
To qualify as an advocate for every child, you will have...
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, public relations, social sciences, international relations, or related field;
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in communications at the national or international level, including experience in website maintenance, media, social media relations;
- Experience in the IASC system or the UN is desirable;
- Fluent in English. Native English speaker preferred. French, Spanish or Arabic are an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Please include a cover letter, a full CV with three most recent references, and two of relevant work samples such as reports, presentations, and publications. Additionally, indicate your availability and all inclusive monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above based on full-time work (i.e. 5 days per week). Applications submitted without a monthly rate will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Advertised: W. Europe Standard Time
Deadline: W. Europe Standard Time