Administrative Associate (GS-6), Temporary Appointment, Prague, Czech Republic
Job no: 552323
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Duty Station: Prague
Location: Czech Republic
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, commitment.
The Level 3 Scale-up for Ukraine was activated effective 5 March 2022, for an initial period of six months. With the activation of the procedure, UNICEF has adopted a no-regrets approach in view of the complex situation and increasing humanitarian needs, to ensure that UNICEF continues to provide life-saving response for the children and women in Ukraine in line with the CCCs. The recent escalation in the armed conflict in Ukraine poses an immediate threat to the lives and wellbeing of the country’s 7.5 million children. The intensification of the armed conflict is posing severe human costs, causing a growing number of civilian and children casualties, interrupting livelihoods and damaging critical civilian infrastructure, including hundreds of homes, water and sanitation infrastructure, schools and health facilities. Hundreds of thousands of children and their families have been internally displaced and, to-date, over one million forced to flee the country in search of safety – the majority are women and children.
In response, UNICEF has already mobilized organization-wide support. However, the deteriorating situation and complex operating environment requires strengthened capacity and sustained efforts to further expand our presence and work in those parts of the country that can be safely accessed, to strengthen our cluster and overall humanitarian leadership, and to continue scaling-up our humanitarian action, with priority focus on child protection, health, WASH, nutrition, learning, cash interventions and social protection efforts. UNICEF is also coordinating with refugee hosting countries to prepare and respond to the humanitarian needs emerging from population movements.
How can you make a difference?
The Administrative Associate is responsible for executing a broad variety of procedural and specialized administrative tasks for the respective section requiring in-depth knowledge of UNICEF administrative procedures, processes and policies.
Budget Monitoring (specialized)
- Monitors budgets and financial expenditures of section, ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations, keeping supervisor informed and advised on actions for decision/follow up.
- Provides support on budget revision/preparation, implementation status, determination position of funding utilization, operational, and financial closure.
- Prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the budget monitoring of project/programme implementation.
- Carries out transactions in VISION pertaining to grants for his/her section such as registering grant allotments and tracking expiring programme grants.
Human Resources (specialized)
- Drafts vacancy announcements for positions within his/her office for review by supervisor to help attract ideal candidates.
- Ensures timely and efficient screening of applications for minimum eligibility, taking into account qualifications, competencies, and post requirements.
- Liaises with candidates in the various stages of the recruitment process.
- Coordinates the scheduling of interviews and technical assessments.
- Records and maintains recruitment files, ensuring all necessary documentation has been prepared.
- Monitors life-cycle of recruitment process to update supervisor as necessary.
Office Planning & Project Management (specialized)
- Ensures the availability of timely, complete and accurate information and data for preparing section work plans and project management plans.
- Undertakes basic research and performs comparative analysis of project/programme related data.
- Monitors project implementation against established milestones and makes recommendations to improve performance.
- Helps ensure timely compliance with agreed deadlines.
- Acts as focal point in the review of the completeness of data reports with key monitoring and evaluation information.
- Guides managers in the process of PCA/SSAs in line with the policies and guidance issued by FRG, supply division and DHR.
- Facilitates the processing of contracts for consultants and external partners that provide a service to the section. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, uploading TOR’s in VISION, and making necessary logistical arrangements.
- Maintains up-to-date vendor lists, partners, and consultant rosters.
Communications & Workflow
- Facilitates the communications and workflow of the organizational unit to enhance the efficiency and timeliness of operations and outputs.
- Manages incoming and outgoing correspondence, e-mails and telephone calls.
- Communicates routine and some non-routine information pertaining to the work of the team.
- Establishes and maintains the office filing and reference systems, both traditional and digital; and ensures the inter/intra-net websites are up to date and accurate.
- Maintains office calendar and arranges meetings
- Takes minutes of meetings, ensuring accuracy, attention to detail and coherence.
- Supports capacity development activities and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts.
- Arranges times through liaising with participants over availability.
- Liaises with budget focal points and section over costs and needs.
- Prepares background materials for participants and uploads cleared materials on the intranet.
- Prepares and maintains agendas on meetings and events related to the work group commitments.
- Provides travel assistance to staff members in section for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization’s rules and policies. Liaises with relevant travel focal points to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Briefs/de-briefs staff members on issues relating to related administrative matters such as visas, security clearance, and documentation procedures.
- Extracts, inputs, maintains, and verifies correctness of travel records in the organization’s travel system to ensure accurate transactions related to travel costs and staff travel.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets on travel costs and maintain travel plan and budgetary control records.
- Monitors travel certification and report back to the team.
- Responsible for collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and, thereafter processing in VISION.
- Uploads electronic files and verifies results to destination system.
- Responds to client transaction status and other inquiries.
- Supports management of administrative supplies, office equipment, and updating inventory of items.
- Monitors and supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
- Arranges for the purchase and timely distribution of office supplies.
- Maintains and updates a system which monitors the absence of staff.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Completion of secondary education is required, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the field of work.
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant administrative or clerical work experience is required.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability (CRITA) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
(1) Builds and maintains partnerships (2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (3) Drive to achieve results for impact (4) Innovates and embraces change (5) Manages ambiguity and complexity (6) Thinks and acts strategically (7) Works collaboratively with others.
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
This opportunity is open to all legal residents of the Czech Republic, holding valid work permit.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Issuance of a visa by the host country of the duty station, which will be facilitated by UNICEF, is required for IP positions. Appointments may also be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Advertised: Central Europe Daylight Time
Deadline: Central Europe Daylight Time