(Re-Advertisement) Individual Contractor – Data Specialist, Technology for Development, UNICEF East Asia and Pacific Regional Office (EAPRO), Bangkok, Thailand
Job no: 553595
Contract type: Consultant
Duty Station: Bangkok
Categories: Information Communication Technology
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfilling their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a better future
UNICEF works to ensure the rights of all children in the East Asia and Pacific Region. This means the rights of every child living in this country, irrespective of their nationality, gender, religion or ethnicity, to:
- survival – to basic healthcare, peace and security;
- development – to a good education, a loving home and adequate nutrition;
- protection – from abuse, neglect, trafficking, child labour and other forms of exploitation; and
- participation – to express opinions, be listened to and take part in making any decisions that affect them
How can you make a difference?
The Regional ICT Section, UNICEF East Asia and Pacific Regional Office (EAPRO) is seeking an individual contractor to address the increased need for supporting technology solutions for programme data as well as performance and situation monitoring in service of UNICEF’s East Asia and Pacific Region.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional T4D Manager, and with guidance from the Regional Chief of ICT & Digital Innovation and the Regional Chief of Programme Planning and Monitoring, and working in close collaboration with the country T4D focal points, the Contractor will engage in the following:
1. Identification and assistance in the implementation of digital tools for data collection, programme monitoring as well as data visualization approaches:
- Support the Regional and Country Office stakeholders and counterparts to develop and maintain good understanding of available digital tools for data collection, engagement, real-time monitoring (RTM), frontier data and applicable policies, guidelines, contractual and other frameworks
- Support the Regional and Country Office stakeholders in ensuring that technology initiatives adhere to UNICEF’s standards, procedures and policies, including in the areas of information security and data protection
- In collaboration with the relevant Regional and Country Office stakeholders and counterparts identify data collection and data visualization requirements
- Advise on the suitability of existing RTM and data collection tools such as ODK, RapidPro and U-Report for the purpose of meeting the identified data collection requirements
- Advise on the availability of suitable digital channels and other technologies to reach required respondents
- Support the Regional and Country Office stakeholders and counterparts with the implementation of complete RTM, frontier data, digital engagement and data collection systems, including setting up of dashboards, required workspaces, contractual arrangements and agreements with Mobile Network Operators (MNOs), aggregators and other service providers
- Strengthening and adapting existing RTM, frontier data and digital engagement solutions to support the identified data collection and data visualization requirements.
2. Technical consultancy with the design of appropriate data solutions:
- Advise on the technical component of the design and methodology for data collection surveys and their design using applicable RTM, frontier data and digital engagement solutions
- Advise on optimal options for dashboards and data visualization
- Support Regional and Country Offices with the implementation of data collection using applicable RTM, frontier data and digital engagement solutions
- Advise and support the Regional and Country Office stakeholders on data collection from different sources and integration of collected data
- Provide technical support and advice in the design and delivery of CO administrative data systems
- Advise on frontier data technologies that can support programmes and partners to adopt, adapt and scale up the approaches in support of sectoral priorities
- Support on enhancing access to frontier datasets for programme interventions
- Support compliance of data initiatives with the Principles for Digital Development (http://digitalprinciples.org/) and UNICEF T4D best practices; Encourage the use of the Technology Playbook by the country offices for integration of appropriate data technologies into UNICEF programming.
3. Training, documentation and capacity development of the Regional and Country Office staff and partners in ongoing data collection:
- In collaboration with the relevant Regional and Country Office stakeholders and counterparts identify training, documentation and capacity development requirements to support data collection using RTM, data visualization tools digital engagement tools
- Identify existing training, documentation and capacity development resources available or develop training, documentation and capacity development tools that may be required
- Deliver training and other capacity development activities (e.g., webinars) as agreed with the relevant Regional and Country Office stakeholders and their counterparts
- Capture any lessons learnt from the training and capacity development activities to enhance and improve future activities.
4. Assessment and development of RTM, data collection, frontier data, and data visualization innovations in collaboration with the stakeholders:
- In collaboration with the relevant Regional and Country Office stakeholders and counterparts identify the need for innovative data visualizations, RTM, data collection, frontier data and other technology solutions and associated requirements
- Support the T4D manager when liaising with the relevant section of UNICEF HQ, other regional offices and relevant vendors to design, develop and implement such innovative solutions
- Actively document feature requests across the solution suite, including consolidating, summarizing, consulting, and fomenting ongoing discussions around new features, bugs, updates, upgrades and updates
- Collaborate with the Regional and Country Office stakeholders and advocate for inclusion of prioritized requirements in product roadmap(s)
- Participate actively in community of practice(s), serving as a liaison point between UNICEF COs leveraging data technologies, vendor and product management teams.
Work plan and schedule will be agreed upon the start of the contract by the contractor and contract’s supervisor.
The individual Contractor is expected to make substantive decisions on coordination, planning, assessment, implementation, and/or operation of Real-Time Monitoring, Data Collection, Data Visualizations, Frontier Data and other technology solutions within the framework established by the Regional Office, the Division of Data, Analytics, Planning and Monitoring (DAPM), ICTD and the Innovations for Results cone. Deliverables include:
• RTM, digital engagement, frontier data, data collection and where applicable data visualization solutions are implemented and in production as agreed with the relevant Regional and Country Offices stakeholders and counterparts
• Data collection surveys, carried out using RTM and digital tools and conducted by the relevant Regional and Country Offices stakeholders and their counterparts, are designed appropriately to their purpose and data collected from identified sources using suitable channels
• Relevant Regional and Country Offices stakeholders and their counterparts have the required knowledge and capacity to conduct and maintain ongoing data collection surveys using agreed RTM and digital engagement tools
• Depending on the identified needs, innovative data visualizations, RTM and digital solutions are developed and implemented, including required training and capacity development
• Reports on existing initiatives and solutions including lessons learnt from various programmes and related data-centric initiatives
• Participation in proposals and partnership development
• Webinars/training sessions to programme colleagues and/or partners for capacity building in data collection, analysis, and visualization
• Any other activity/output as required.
Duration of Contract: 11.5 months throughout the period of September 1, 2022, through August 15, 2023. Subject to extension depending on needs and performance.
Work Location and Official Travel:
The Contractor will be based in the Bangkok UNICEF Regional Office. Remote work modalities will be considered in a time zone location within maximum 3 hours of GMT +7 (Bangkok).
He/she may need to travel to Country Offices depending on pre-approved requests for technical assistance. Any required travel and logistics related to this assignment will be discussed with the supervisor in advance and agreed upon mutually.
Contractor to use own laptop and other necessary infrastructure/equipment.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
An advanced university degree in Information Systems Management, Statistics, Digital Transformation, Computer Science, International Development or related field. A combination of a first university degree in one of the above fields and seven years of practical experience in the use of data for development may be substituted for the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience identifying, designing and implementing medium-to-large scale data systems and data solutions in a development or humanitarian context
- Experience in quantitative methods and data analysis
- Demonstrated experience with production data: ability to access data and use data extracts, construct, and manipulate data sets of structured and unstructured data sources.
- Strong experience working with Python. Experience applying statistical packages (SPSS, STATA or R) is a plus
- Experienced in querying SQL databases
- Experience with ODK and the various platforms and solutions leveraging it (e.g., ONA Data, KoBoToolbox or other)
- GIS expertise (e.g., Mapbox, ArcGIS and/or QGIS) is highly desirable
- Experience with data visualization reporting tools (e.g., Superset, PowerBI, Tableau, Infogram)
- Demonstrated ability to present analytical findings and to communicate effectively
- Experience in recommending tools appropriate to low-bandwidth or sub-standard infrastructure environments is highly desirable
- Experience in Open Source and the utilization of GitHub
- Knowledge or significant interest in one or more of these areas:
- The use of Technology in Developing contexts
- Digital Public Goods such as RapidPro
- Data for Development
Other skills and attributes:
- Hybrid background combining technical skills, strong conceptual ability to integrate the capabilities of available technology, the organizational needs, and functions that technology must support
- Proven ability to interact diplomatically with counterparts at all levels, as well as experience working directly with government counterparts and community-level partners
- Understanding of international development issues
- Ability to interact with people from different disciplines, and with varying degrees of technical experience
- Experience working in dynamic and innovative environments
- Experience managing external vendors and software developers
- Demonstrated ability to work independently but interacting with a large team
- Experience in supporting and coordinating project activities across a large organization and with other international partner organizations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills a must. Presentation skills are an advantage
- Capacity to extract requirements and to formulate them into a concrete and clear set of requirements
- Ability to analyze requirements and coordinate the development of prototypes
- Understanding constraints of working with various partners, but also the strengths of representing an international organization.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV or P-11, full contact information of minimum 3 references, availability, and proposed monthly professional fee in USD by 31 August 2022.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People, and Drive for Results.
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
Advertised: SE Asia Standard Time
Deadline: SE Asia Standard Time