Senior Executive Associate, (GS-6) FT, Maseru, Lesotho #00001928 (Opened to Basotho Only)
Job no: 553646
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Duty Station: Maseru
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, oppotunity
How can you make a difference?
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Under the supervision of a head of office, the Senior Executive Associate is accountable for procedural communications, operations and administrative support services, as well as specialized administrative functions, to enhance the smooth running of the supervisor’s day-to day activities, as well as his/her section. The position will also represent the supervisor in initiating, following up on and resolving issues pertaining to administrative requests.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks
Summary of key functions/accountabilities
• Communications Support
• Administrative Support
• Operations Support
• Budget Monitoring Support
• Procurement Support
• On behalf of supervisor, manage incoming and outgoing correspondence, e-mails and telephone calls.
• Communicate sensitive information to higher level managers.
• Provide routine information pertaining to the work of the division/office.
• Draft responses to written inquiries on routine questions.
• Coordinate responses to sensitive inquiries.
• Follow up on established deadlines and ensuring timely submissions by staff of reports, correspondence and other documents.
• Maintain the supervisor’s calendar and arrange meetings.
• Organize official travel on behalf of supervisor.
• Preparing briefing materials for official trips or meetings.
• Prepare documentation for the supervisor’s signature reviewing for style, factual and grammatical accuracy.
• Supports capacity development activities and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts.
• Maintains and updates a system which monitors the absence of staff.
• Supports management of administrative supplies, office equipment, and updating the inventory of items.
Budget Monitoring Support
• Provides support on budget revision/preparation, implementation status, determination position of funding utilization, operational, and financial closure.
• Monitors budgets and financial expenditures of section, ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations, keeping supervisor informed and advised on actions for decision/follow up.
• Prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the monitoring of project/programme implementation.
• Carries out transactions in VISION pertaining to grants for his/her section such as registering grant allotments and tracking expiring programme grants.
• Guide managers in the process of PCA/SSAs in line with the policies and guidance issued by FRG, SD and DHR.
• Facilitate the processing of contracts for consultants and external partners that provide a service to the section. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, uploading TOR’s in VISION, and making necessary logistical arrangements.
• Maintain up-to-date vendor lists, partners, and consultant rosters.
Impact of Results
In addition to the impact at the GS-6 level, s/he is accountable for applying a broad range of specialized administrative rules and procedures in the coordination of administrative support to the senior staff member and his/her section served. In addition, they represent the supervisor in communications involving the exchange of non-routine information, coordinating and following up on deadlines as well as establishing and maintaining communications with counterparts within UNICEF and partner organizations. Efficiently initiating, monitoring and ensuring provision of such services allows the supervisor to focus on substantive core work.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education is required, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the field of work.
- A minimum of six years of relevant administrative or clerical work experience is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability (CRITA) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Builds and maintains partnerships (1)
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (1)
- Drive to achieve results for impact (1)
- Innovates and embraces change (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
- Thinks and acts strategically (1)
- Works collaboratively with others (1)
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments may also be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Advertised: South Africa Standard Time
Deadline: South Africa Standard Time