Evaluation Specialist, P3, Kyiv, Ukraine -Temporary Appointment (364 days)
Job no: 562219
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Duty Station: Kyiv
Categories: Research, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
Since 24 February 2022, the war in Ukraine has devastated the lives of children and families. At least 17.7 million people need humanitarian aid and more than a quarter of the population - over 14.6 million people - have fled their homes. Access to critical WASH, education, health, livelihoods and social services support has been interrupted. UNICEF has launched a large scale multi-sectoral response to address these needs with a rapid scale up in resources.
In such a context, access and use of evidence is critical to ensuring that the response is relevant, efficient and effective and delivering the best possible results for children. To this end, the UNICEF Ukraine Office (UCO) seeks to hire an Evaluation Specialist to support the planning, design, implementation and use of evaluative evidence in UNICEF Ukraine. As the emergency enters its second year, the need for credible, impartial and strategic evidence on programming is critical to ensuring that UNICEF is meeting the greatest needs in a timely and agile manner, and that UNICEF is well positioned to support recovery initiatives. The Evaluation Specialist will support the development of the implementation of the office evidence plan and strategy, lead and support evaluative exercises such as studies, assessments and evaluations, and work to promote a culture of learning, accountability and evidence-based programming. The incumbent will report to the Chief of Evaluation.
How can you make a difference?
- Leadership and support to the design, implementation and dissemination of evaluations and evaluative exercises (reviews, assessments, and studies) of the work of the Ukraine country office to ensure accountability and learning
- Contribute to the process to determine and select evaluative work that meets the needs of programme sections and field offices and is strategic and relevant to office priorities
- Contribute to the development of the UCO costed evaluation plan
- Draft evaluation concept notes and terms of reference under the guidance and supervision of the Chief of Evaluation and in close consultation with key staff and stakeholders.
- Manage evaluations and evaluative exercises from design to dissemination, in accordance with United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG) norms and standards, with the support of the Chief of Evaluation. Contribute to inception, data collection, data analysis and/or report drafting phases of individual evaluations, studies and assessments.
- Participate in consultant selection processes and undertake quality control of all outputs produced by consulting teams.
- Follow up on development of management responses and recommendation implementation and tracking
- Contribute to efforts to use creative and innovative approaches to the evaluative work of the UCO
- Participation in UN system partner assessments and collaborative evaluation and data exercises
- Participate in the development of UN joint assessments and data exercises including common country analyses and needs assessments
- Participate in the Data Task Force and other M&E collaboration platforms and networks
- Contribute to evidence required for the development of the UN Cooperation Framework
- Knowledge management to ensure learning and use of lessons learned and best practices from evaluative exercises
- Work with teams to capture and disseminate key lessons from evaluative work to staff and partners
- Extract targeted key lessons and summaries and develop customized communication products to share evidence results with staff, partners and communities
- Support programme colleagues on usage plans and integration of evidence and lessons learned into their work
- Support the use of evidence in the development of the Country Programme Document
- Evaluation capacity building of UNICEF Ukraine staff and partners
- Participate in internal exercises to build the evaluation and evidence culture of the UCO and its partners
- Track and review the UCO evidence strategy and workplan
- Design and conduct formal and informal training for UNICEF staff and partners on relevant evaluation topics, including capacity support to field staff
- Link with and contribute to regional and global UNICEF evaluation networks and colleagues to learn from, contribute and share evaluative learnings
- Contributions as needed to the work of the planning and monitoring team, including programme and partner monitoring
- Support colleagues in the Planning and Monitoring section in collecting and analyzing programme and needs assessment data
- Provide support to and management of surveys and other programme outcome monitoring efforts
- Support partner monitoring efforts, including conducting programme monitoring visits
- Participate in internal and external M&E working groups
- Other relevant duties as requested by the Chief of Evaluation and/or Chief of Planning and Monitoring
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education and work experience
- An Advanced University Degree in social sciences, statistics, monitoring and evaluation, economics or another related field
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in evaluation in humanitarian and development contexts
- Prior hands-on experience in humanitarian response a significant asset, including in sectors relevant to UNICEF work
- Significant experience in data collection and analysis using both qualitative and quantitative methods
- Strong research and writing skills
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel, and skills with statistical software (STATA, R, Python) highly desirable
- Expertise in presenting information in understandable visualizations and reports
- Experience in a client-orientation and key coordination role with strong analytical, interpersonal and communication skills is required.
- Ability to work independently and in constant communication across multiple teams and partners
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and deliver under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a diverse organization tailoring language, tone, style, and format to match audience.
- Ability and willingness to travel to field offices and sites within Ukraine.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Proficiency in Ukrainian or Russian is an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS). The UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
Works Collaboratively with others (2)
Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
Drive to achieve impactful results (2)
Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
Nurtures, leads and manages people (2)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Advertised: FLE Daylight Time
Deadline: FLE Daylight Time