Chief Health, P-4, Kathmandu, Nepal, #7031
Job no: 501355
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Categories: Health, P-4
Pay Grade: P-4
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Chief, Health reports to the Deputy Representative for general guidance and direction. The Chief, is responsible for managing and supervising all stages of health programs/projects (gender, maternal, neonatal, child survival, emergency preparedness) within the country program, from strategic planning and formulation to delivery of results, and for leading and managing the health team including establishing plans of action to achieve concrete and sustainable results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and UNICEF's Strategic Plans, standards of performance and accountability framework, and does so in consultation with the Regional Health Adviser
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1. Managerial leadership
- Establish the rolling/annual work plan (RWP/AWP) with the Health team and counterparts; set priorities/targets and performance measurement. Monitor work progress and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards.
- Establish clear individual performance objectives, goals and timelines; and provide timely guidance to enable the team to perform their duties responsibly and efficiently. Plan and ensure timely performance management and assessment of the Team.
- Supervise team members by providing them with clear objectives and goals, direction and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently
2. Program development and planning
- Plan and provide technical and operational guidance to the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis to establish a comprehensive/updated strategic plan for development, design and management of health related programs. Provide strategic guidance in developing theory of change (ToC), results framework and programme strategy notes for country programme document (CPD). Keep abreast of development trends to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery.
- Prepare, coordinate and supervise the formulation/design of health program recommendation and related documentations as a component of the Country Program establishing clear program goals, objectives, strategies and results based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM).
- Evaluate program recommendation to ensure alignment of health program with the overall UNICEF's Strategic Plans and Country Program and coherence/integration with UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to provide technical and operational support on program planning, management and implementation and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programs/projects with other UNICEF sectors throughout all stages of programming processes. Collaborate with external development partners (EDP) to ensure maternal and newborn related sustainable development goal (SDG 3) and indicators are achieved equitably.
3. Advisory services and technical support
- Collaborate/consult with key government officials, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on policies, strategies and best practices and approaches on health and related issues to support program development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Participate in program strategic discussions/planning to provide technical advice/contribute policy discussions and agenda setting to promote health and development issues especially in the areas of gender, emergency preparedness and maternal, neonatal and child survival and development.
- Prepare policy papers, briefs and other strategic program materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
- Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives program development and contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated.
- Collaborate with health cluster in developing response in emergency situation with a long term plan in building resilient system and structure to withstand hazards caused by natural, medical and any other type.
4. Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with health sector government counterparts, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity, exchange knowledge/expertise and/or promote cooperation and alliances to achieve program goals on children rights and social justice/equity.
- Prepare communication and information materials to highlight program goals, achievements and/or needs to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programs (maternal, neonatal and child survival and development).
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on health and related issues to ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting. Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues UNDAF planning and preparation of health programs/projects
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Promote critical thinking and innovative approaches and good practices for sustainable health programs/projects initiatives.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark and implement best and cutting edge practices in health management and information systems. Institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize, plan and/or implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on health related programs/projects.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An Advanced University Degree in public health/nutrition, pediatric health, family health, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, environmental health sciences, biostatistics, socio-medical, health education, epidemiology or other health related sciences is required
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in public health/nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and neonatal health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness, at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required. Relevant experience in health/nutrition program/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal) is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication - Level II
- Working with People - Level II
- Drive for Results - Level II
- Leading and supervising - Level II
- Formulating strategies and concepts - Level II
- Analyzing - Level III
- Relating and networking - Level II
- Deciding and Initiating action - Level II
- Applying technical expertise - Level III
To view our competency framework, please click here.
This is a re-advertisement to expand the pool of candidates. Applicants who have already applied will be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Advertised: Nepal Standard Time
Application close: Nepal Standard Time