National Consultant (Nutrition) - Only for Bangladeshis
Job no: 534510
Contract type: Consultancy
Mothers@Work programme is a national programme, developed to address the challenges faced by working mothers to be able to continue breastfeeding in the workplace. Guided by the national and global policy framework and regulations on maternity protection and breastfeeding support in the workplace, Mothers@Work programme was developed through a national consultation in 2016. It is currently implemented in the Ready-Made Garment (RMG) sector. About 2.1 million of RMG sector employees are female. Many of these females are of reproductive age, and many are mothers who are responsible for nurturing the next generation of Bangladeshi citizens.
Purpose of Assignment:
Consultant will support Nutrition Section of UNICEF Bangladesh to strengthen and sustain Mothers@Work Programme.
- To facilitate implementation of Joint Workplan between Nutrition Section of UNICEF Bangladesh with Ministry of Labour and Employment on Mothers@Work;
- To facilitate the process for the enrolment of 25 new factories (under Joint Workplan with ILO, Better Work Bangladesh);
- To facilitate the establishment partnership with BKMEA and BGMEA toward scaling up and sustain Mothers@Work programme in the RMG sector;
- To support the development of strategy and action plan to expand Mothers@Work programme in Tea Garden setting;
- To facilitate and coordinate with Urban Nutrition Field Operation Facilitator (UNFOF) for advocacy actions on the linking factory-based intervention with health facility and community-based support.
- To document of learning and knowledge management on the process and results from Objective 1-5.
- Capacity of MoLE is strengthened to monitor Mothers@Work programme.
- 25 new factories signed Letter of Engagement (LoE) to implement M@W programme.
- Partnership and Joint Workplan with BGMEA and BKMEA established.
- Strategy and action plan for implementation of Mothers@Work in Tea Garden developed.
- Framework document on the linkage of nutrition interventions between RMG factory supports and health facility and community-based supports for working women.
- Learning and knowledge management from the process and result 1-5 above documented.
Tasks and Deliverables:
|Tasks - Milestones||Deliverables - Output||Timeframe|
1. Collect and review current progress in the implementation of Joint Workplan with MoLE; plan for partnership with BGMEA, BKMEA and expansion of Mothers@Work programme beyond RMG sector;
2. Identify the gaps and key actions required from the review of current progress on the activities in #1 above
|Inception Report, including the objectives and methodology of the activities to be implemented in Gantt Chart (10 working days)||
Within 1 month after contract signed - December 2020
|3. Liaise with MoLE to implement key actions to strengthen their capacity to implement and monitor Mothers@Work programme as per Joint Workplan with MoLE||
Jan 2021 - For #1
February 2021 - For #2
August 2021 - For #3
|4. Support enrolment seminar of 25 new factories and facilitate signing of LoE||Signed LoE of 25 factories (10 days)||
|5. Organize and facilitate consultations with BGMEA and BKMEA to synthesize and advocate them to implement M@W in their factories through establishment of partnership (e.g. MoU) and workplan||
1. MoU and workplan with BKMEA (15 days)2. MoU and workplan with BGMEA (25 days)
April 2021 - For #1
June 2021 - For #2
|6. Facilitate consultation with SPEAR section to develop strategy, action plan and SoP for expansion of M@W in Tea Garden||Strategy and action plan for implementation of Mothers@Work in Tea Garden (15 days)||
|7. Coordinate with UNFOF and DNC to develop a framework (in alignment with existing actions) on the establishment the linkage between RMG factory-based interventions and Health facility and community-based interventions||Framework document on the linkage of nutrition interventions between RMG factory supports and health facility and community-based supports for working women (20 days)||
|8. Develop document on the learning and knowledge management on the process to achieve the expected results task III, V, and VI above.||Learning and knowledge management document from the process and result (15 days)||
Qualification and Knowledge/Skills/Experiences required:
Masters in Management, Global/International health, Public health, Development studies, Social science or related fields.
- At least 8 years of experience in social development/public health/nutrition programme,
- Understanding of Labour Laws and maternity rights is an asset,
- Experience in working with RMG sectors is preferable
- Proven excellent writing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with multi stakeholders, particularly government partners
- Full time consultancy for 11.5 months;
- Payment will be made upon successful completion of each deliverables based on schedule;
- Travel (if applicable) cost will be paid at actual basis
Advertised: Bangladesh Standard Time
Deadline: Bangladesh Standard Time