Human Resources Manager, P-4, Venezuela, Caracas, , #110053, FT
Job no: 566001
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Duty Station: Caracas
Categories: Human Resources
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an opportunity
UNICEF is a leading humanitarian and development agency working globally for the rights of every child. Child rights begin with safe shelter, nutrition, protection from disaster and conflict and traverse the life cycle: pre-natal care for healthy births, clean water and sanitation, health care and education. UNICEF has spent nearly 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Working with and for children through adolescence and into adulthood requires a global presence whose goal is to produce results and monitor their effects. UNICEF also lobbies and partners with leaders, thinkers and policy makers to help all children realize their rights—especially the most disadvantaged.
The position reports to the Deputy Representative Operations in the Venezuela Country Office. These positions are authoritative experts in the field of human resources. Are not only responsible for the execution of client services but are also responsible for regularly supporting senior management in policy direction and design. Subsequently, it is expected that they are able to – on a regular basis – develop original and innovative means to help advance the profession and also tackle highly complex HR matters that do not follow established patterns.
Furthermore, HR Managers are also usually responsible for planning, organizing, and supervising a team of HR staff as well as for managing broad and complex projects.
How can you make a difference?
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Representative Operations, the HR Manager, within their area of responsibility, is accountable for implementing HR services that enhance the capacity of their clients to deliver on their business goals and objectives. In doing so, the incumbent demonstrates the ability to anticipate HR-related needs and develop subsequent plans and solutions that align HR management with business objectives. The incumbent will require advanced professional skills, technical knowledge, and expertise to provide adequate advice and good practices guidelines to the Country Offices.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
Management of Unit
- Support the Chief of Section in establishing the annual work plan, setting priorities/targets and performance measurements.
- Monitor work progress and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards.
- Establish clear individual performance objectives, goals, and timelines; and provide timely guidance to enable the team to perform their duties responsibly and efficiently.
Technical HR Leadership
- Provide technical leadership in one or more HR specialty areas with responsibility for reviewing the work of other Professional and General Service staff for compliance with principles and concepts, policies, regulations, and rules as well as for soundness of judgement and conclusions.
- Develop, implement, and monitor the interpretation and application of new human resources policies, practices and procedures in area of specialization to meet the evolving needs of the organization including formulating the position of the organization on policies in area of HR specialization and determining the appropriate application of rules and regulations to highly sensitive or contentious individual cases having implications for other HR systems and UNICEF as a whole.
- Serve as the single point of contact for his/her client portfolio on advice pertaining to all aspects of the employment life cycle
- Work with clients to help fulfill their goals through advising on how to attract, retain and motivate staff of the highest caliber.
- Provide accurate and timely advice to clients on HR processes and policies, ensuring the highest level of client-orientation.
- Proactively advise clients on the resolution of human resources issues ensuring equitable and transparent solutions that protects both the staff and organizations interests in accordance with policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Promote the organizational goals and targets for gender equity and cultural diversity.
Strategic Human Resources
- Liaise with the HQ Divisions, regional and country offices to support and contribute to corporate HR strategy formulation and global implementation. Provide feedback and make recommendations on the establishment and improvement of HR systems, policies, and processes.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best and cutting-edge practices in HR management and contribute to the development of global policies, procedures and introduce innovation through sharing of best practices and knowledge learned.
- Responsible for strategic human resources forecasting for his/her clients including identifying future human resource requirements in terms of numbers, types and levels of staff, and identifying emerging trends in profile requirements.
- Helps design optimal organizational, staffing structures and levels, and, in consultation with senior management develops standards and benchmarks staffing norms.
Implementation of assigned Human Resources Services
- Provide support to various or one specific HR occupation (recruitment, job classification, career development, performance management, data analytics, learning & development etc.) to help their supervisors in implementing efficient client services that help either attract, retain and/or motivate staff of the highest caliber.
- When assigned casework in the relevant area on either a routine or non-routine basis, analyze and synthesize issues and problems, and interpret established, formal guidelines to address and recommend solutions or further actions required.
Learning and Capacity Development
- In collaboration with business owners, design and deliver learning plans for staff to enhance their knowledge and build skills in new areas.
- Contributes to the mapping of competencies for all staff in assigned client portfolio, assisting in the development of a comprehensive framework in support of the development of the talent pipeline.
- Recommend efficient and cost-effective learning products which strengthen staff capacity to contribute effectively to business goals.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- Provide orientation briefings to new staff.
- Provide day-to-day performance and talent management guidance to line management (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, career conversations, and disciplinary actions).
HR Data Analytics
- Interpret and analyze HR data to help inform strategic decision making on HR processes and strategies.
- Develop data collection systems to optimize data quality.
- Coordinate with country offices and partners to provide assistance in their HR information management.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An Advanced University Degree in human resource management, business management, international relations, psychology, or another related field is required. A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- Eight years of professional experience in human resource management in an international organization and/or large corporation is required.
- Experience in a UN system agency or experience working in a developing country and/or humanitarian/ emergency context is an asset.
- Proficiency in Spanish and fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, or Russian) is an asset.
The ability to allocate appropriate time and resources for successful achievement of goals and foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning.
Ability to implement clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, identify priority activities and assignments, adjust priorities as required.
Experience and ability to help design and implement targeted and innovative human resources strategies to address clients’ people-related needs.
Ability to help design and implement innovative HR programs within a fast paced, evolving, and wide organizational setting.
Authoritative technical knowledge of the principles and concepts of human resources management.
Capacity to adapt policies, approaches, and models to meet emerging needs.
Ability to identify and analyze systemic issues, formulate opinions, and make conclusions and recommendations to resolve same.
Excellent knowledge of organizational and HR information technology systems and tools.
Interpersonal and Communication
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a diverse organization tailoring language, tone, style and format to match audience.
Ability to empathize with client managers, supervisors and staff while advocating for consistent and equitable applications of promulgated HR regulations and rules.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (2)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF’s active commitment towards diversity and inclusion is critical to deliver the best results for children. For this position, eligible and suitable male and female are encouraged to apply.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Issuance of a visa by the host country of the duty station, which will be facilitated by UNICEF, is required for IP positions. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process. Male candidates are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Venezuela Standard Time
Deadline: Venezuela Standard Time