Administrative Assistant (GS-5) FTA, No. 102905, Havana CUBA
Job no: 557435
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Duty Station: Havana
Categories: Information Communication Technology, Supply Management, Operations, Administration, Financial Management, Facilities Management, Transportation
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, results
Cuba Program Priorities and Partnerships
The program is aligned with three of the four results of the Framework of United Nations Cooperation for Sustainable Development 2020-2024 and with the goals and objectives of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The program will be implemented through strategic partnerships with the Government national and territorial level, academic institutions, civil society organizations civilian and other United Nations organizations, under the direction and coordination of the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Trade and Foreign Investment.
Cuba program will focus on three priority areas, identified in consultation with national entities and that will be aligned with the National Development Plan Economic and Social until 2030, the Sustainable Development Goals and three of the five goals of the UNICEF Strategic Plan 2018-2021:
• Every child survives and thrives
• Every child learns
• Every child is protected from violence and the exploitation and
• Program effectiveness
To support the Programme Effectiveness component, Cuba Operations Team will provide technical and strategic assistance to support the program implementation and management. It includes program coordination expenses and cross-cutting elements such as fundraising, emergency response, gender and rights mainstreaming, gender-based programming in risks, knowledge management, research, monitoring and evaluation and communication.
The Administrative Assistant supports the supervisor in the compilation and coordination of work products, ensuring deadlines are met and that established rules and procedures are followed. The work is standardized; yet the incumbent must apply a good knowledge of guidelines, to operationally support the Office. Key performance indicators go beyond the timeliness and accuracy of work to include planning and organizing the work of the team.
Administrative Assistant at this level represent the supervisor in communications involving the exchange of non-routine information, coordinating and following up on deadlines as well as establishing and maintaining communications with staff across various divisions. Communications require tact and discretion. They may also provide guidance and direction to temporary or lower level staff.
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision and guidance of the supervisor Operations Officer (NO-2 level), the Administrative Assistant (G-5 level) is responsible for executing a broad variety of routine tasks and some specialized for the respective section, requiring thorough knowledge of UNICEF administrative procedures, processes and policies.
The Administrative Assistant as part of the CO Operations Team will support the Programme Effectiveness component which incorporates elements of program coordination, logistics, and procurement of supplies, monitoring and evaluation, communication, gender mainstreaming, resource mobilization strategy, management of the knowledge and preparation and response to disasters due to their impact on the rest of the components. Its main objective is to integrate actions and strategies in the achievement of results and ensuring availability and optimal use of resources.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks:
Procurement for services
Facilitates the processing of contracts for external partners that provide a service to the section. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, uploading TOR’s in VISION, and making necessary logistical arrangements.
Maintains up-to-date vendor lists, partners, and provider rosters.
- Facilitates the communications and workflow of the organizational unit to enhance the efficiency and timeliness of operations and outputs.
- Manages incoming and outgoing correspondence.
- Communicates routine and some non-routine information pertaining to the work of the team.
- Establishes and maintains the office filing and reference systems, both traditional and digital; and ensures the inter/intra-net websites are up to date and accurate.
- Follow up and support common premises activities and needs.
- Maintains office calendar and arranges meetings
- Takes minutes of meetings, ensuring accuracy, attention to detail and coherence.
Supports capacity development activities and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts.
Arranges times through liaising with participants over availability.
Liaises with budget focal points and section over costs and needs.
Prepares background materials for participants and uploads cleared materials on the intranet.
Prepares and maintains agendas on meetings and events related to the work groupcommitments
- Provides travel assistance to staff members in section for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization’s rules and policies. Liaises with relevant travel focal points to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Briefs/de-briefs staff members on issues relating to related administrative matters such as visas, security clearance, and documentation procedures.
- Extracts, inputs, maintains, and verifies correctness of travel records in the organization’s travel system to ensure accurate transactions related to travel costs and staff travel.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets on travel costs and maintain travel plan and budgetary control records.
- Monitors travel certification and report back to the team.
Invoice Processing, as a back up
- Responsible for collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and thereafter processing in VISION.
- Uploads electronic files and verifies results to destination system.
- Responds to client transaction status and other inquiries.
Property management, office equipment and vehicles
- Supports management of administrative supplies, office equipment, and updating inventory of items.
- Monitors and supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
- Arranges for the purchase and timely distribution of office supplies.
- In charge of fleet coordination and supervision with the guidance of the Operations Officer
- Participation in the development and implementation of agreed greening actions/activities
- Monitoring and reporting of environmental footprint indicators.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: Completion of secondary education is required (Cuba Nivel medio superior) preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the field of work.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of relevant administrative or clerical work experience is required.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
Languages: Fluency in Spanish and English is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
(1) Builds and maintains partnerships ( Level 2)
(2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness ( Level 2)
(3) Drive to achieve results for impact ( Level 2)
(4) Innovates and embraces change ( Level 2)
(5) Manages ambiguity and complexity ( Level 2)
(6) Thinks and acts strategically ( Level 2)
(7) Works collaboratively with others. ( Level 2)
(8) Nurtures, leads and manages people ( Level 1) for supervisory role
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF’s active commitment towards diversity and inclusion is critical to deliver the best results for children. For this position, eligible and suitable persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Deadline: Eastern Standard Time